Austin Gravel Driveways — The Cost Benefits
To create a residential driveway, homeowners have a variety of options. They can compact the native soil, but this will normally turn into a muddy mess when it rains. They can hire a contractor to install an asphalt driveway, but that will require them to have a contractor periodically repair cracks and sealcoat the pavement. A concrete driveway is typically more expensive than asphalt, and although concrete will normally have a longer life than asphalt, it can be vulnerable to damage from tree roots or ground heave. At the high end of the scale, homeowners can install pavers, but this will cost a lot of money. For many people in Austin gravel driveways offer the best combination of cost, aesthetics, and maintenance.
How Does the Cost of Austin Gravel Driveways Compare to the Other Options?
Just like the other options, there are many variables that can affect the cost of a gravel driveway installation. The road base material and the specific residential gravel you choose can impact the cost. Furthermore, not all gravel driveway contractors charge identical rates for labor. The same factors can also affect the cost of asphalt, concrete, or paver driveways. Therefore, the following information states the cost range rather than an exact number.
1. Gravel: A gravel driveway installation typically costs between $1 and $2 per square foot.
2. Asphalt: Including the cost for preparing the ground, an asphalt driveway usually costs between $2 and $2.50 per square foot.
3. Concrete: Depending on various factors, a concrete driveway can cost anywhere from $4 to $18 per square foot.
4. Pavers: Pavers are often installed over a bed of road base gravel. Including the road base rock, paver driveways normally cost between $10 and $60 per square foot.
How Much Does It Cost to Maintain Austin Gravel Driveways?
Paver, asphalt, concrete, and gravel driveways will all need to be maintained or repaired to retain their functionality. However, unlike the other options, homeowners can often handle the maintenance themselves, especially if they ask their contractor to leave a pile of residential gravel for them at the time of the installation.
How Are Austin Gravel Driveways Installed?
The specific design of a residential gravel driveway will have an impact on the exact steps involved in the installation. However, in most cases, gravel driveway contractors use the following method.
1. Remove a layer of topsoil.
2. Compact the subgrade.
3. If the customer desires, lay down a geotextile fabric to block the growth of weeds.
4. Install a layer of road base material to a thickness of approximately four inches and compact it.
5. Install about four inches of smaller road base rock and compact it.
6. The third layer of residential gravel typically contains pieces about the size of marbles. After placing it, it is compacted.
7. Shape the center crown to ensure that water will flow to either side.
If you would like to learn more about gravel driveways, contact Juniors Materials. We are a local Austin company with an exemplary reputation. Our services include the delivery of road base material, decomposed granite, and landscape materials. We also offer grading services, trash pickup, and dump truck hauling. In addition, we are a water and soil sinking contractor and a skid-steer loader contractor. We have the experience, equipment, and staff to deliver exceptional work at affordable prices. If you would like to request a free quote, you can call 512-924-6887, or you can fill out our online form.